Sunday, August 15, 2004

the suspense

I was reading about my my renewed art hero this morning and can across a quote that made me go straight away and scan and post this sketch of babi....

norman lindsay was quoted as saying "I never sit down to a watercolour without enduring the suspense of an experiment designed to go wrong and very often it does go wrong. The percentage of comparatively suscessfull experiments is about one in four of my output."...

a watercolour I decided not to complete Posted by Hello


this watercolour of babi has lain unfinished for many days now, I was too scared to touch the face... doing the washes was a lot of fun but the paper got to wet and I did the sketched of her eyes and just left a hint of the facial expression... concentrating at the time of the dark.. I've been experimenting with ultramarine blue instead of purple... and I then intended to used some brunt umber mixed with it to overpaint to get a heavy shadow... I had just lightly formed the eyes and mouth with this mix in the half dry wash... but it looked so nice I stopped... and I've been too scared to return.... except for a little line of vermillion on her lips... now I think I might let you judge the experiment....

needless to say I don't upload my unsuccesfull experiments, I hope, but I have a way to go to reach his one in four successes... although scrolling down stormy's, click's and care bear's latest watercolours are all different experiments & I'm pleased with them... and i'm defitinetly learning to stop before I ruin things.

No comments: